Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Amazing Spider-Man* (2012) 9, 9.5, 9, 27.5

         This is the first film I've been able to review within a week of its coming out. I actually watched it late on the 3rd, but with the 4th I was unable to get a review up. I imagine I will not need to explain the gist of the story here, so I will be brief. Peter Parker is bitten by a spider and turned into Spider-Man.
         I'm going to be honest and admit that I read comic books. I'll admit that I have read more than 100 issues of The Amazing Spider-Man comic book and I have always been something of a purist about these sort of things so my rating here may not reflect how you'll feel.
        I gave it a 9 for wit. It was really pretty well written and acted. I compared this movie mainly with (500) Days of Summer and Another Earth, which are both 9.5, 9.5, 9.5, 28.5. I felt this movie fell short in a small way of these other films. Acting was very good in nearly every way. Rhys Ifans was outstanding as Curtis Connors and played the transformation in mind and body well. Andrew Garfield really played the part well also. Tobey Maguire's interpretation was too somber, too geeky. Andrew plays Peter less reserved, more of a smart mouth. He is brave in defense of the weak before his powers and is truly hilarious under the mask. The scene where he mocks the carjacker who draws a knife on him is priceless, classic Parker. Emma Stone plays Gwen Stacy very well and plays her as the beautiful arch-geek that fits with Peter. This part really is perfect for her. Denis Leary, Embeth Davidtz, and Campbell Scott do well, if not magically. Two people I'm normally less than thrilled with that surprised me were Martin Sheen and Sally Fields. They played Ben and May really well. Martin made Ben the earthy, kindly, and morally genius adoptive parent for Peter with depth as well as breadth. Sally was perfectly gentle and stern. No big mistakes came out for me from a faithfulness-to-story standpoint. Overall, I was quite happy if not thrilled with its wit.
         Wisdom came to 9.5. I think "With great power comes great responsibility," which is paraphrased by Uncle Ben(Marty), is still one of the best messages that I can think of. There was one message near the end that I wasn't sure about, but I'll keep from ruining that point, though I think it will be obvious what it is. The whisper shared between Peter and Gwen at the end. I was a little off-put by that moment as it seemed unnecessary. It could have been avoided. That said, it is the only blemish and I think that the film has a great sense of its message and its says it with clarity. The scene of the New Yorker, played by C. Thomas Howell, backing up Spidey in his attempt to make it to Oscorp tower was a great opportunity to highlight a great theme of Spider-Man comics, Spidey's relationship with New York.
         Wonder is a 9 as well and this should go without explanation. Casting is an absolute A+. I have no issues with a single decision here. The film is beautiful from beginning to end. The 9 is because that extra thing is missing, that thing that separates it from others. That and the lizard looked kind of silly. Why can't he just have the face of a lizard, with the snout? Just a silly difference. That is the only complaint I have from a fanboy standpoint.
         This is the best film of Spider-Man by far and it really brings out a great deal of what I loved about Spidey in the first place. Go and see this movie if you haven't already.

No comments:

Post a Comment