Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Trip* (2010) 9.5, 9.5, 9, 28

         I watched this film on Netflix instant on 6.24.12. I'll begin by noting that this film talks a very little bit about sex. I think that The Trip is one of the funniest movies I've seen all year. It is about Steve Coogan, playing himself, and Rob Brydon, a lesser known, though quite talented actor, who is friends with him, going on a tour of northern English restaurants for a magazine. My friend, Cabe, and I have been drooling over this one since the trailer first came out.
         For wit, I gave this one a 9.5. The writing here is so fantastic that I immediately started cross-checking it with 10's like Hamlet, Romeo + Juliet, Away We Go, Casablanca, etc. It did not quite pull a 10 but compares favorably with (500) Days of Summer. Steve and Rob spend a lot of the movie trying to outdo each others impressions of Michael Caine, Sean Connery, and Woody Allen. These provided an abundance of laughs for me, but the acting hits higher moments when things get more serious. When Steve has to talk to his son who drinks too much or Rob and him discuss Steve's ongoing attempt at relationships. It is beyond funny, but does not fail to provide a genuine and convincing narrative of two friends that find each other exhausting, but still care about each other.
         The wisdom is also a 9.5, mostly for the portrayal of the two men's relationships and the difficulties they encounter and how they order their lives. The ending was a concern for me from the beginning, but it was satisfying without everyone living happily-ever-after. Not that I have any problem with happily-ever-after, but it sometimes seems too good to be true. This was again a serious contender for a 10, but fell short on the principle of some ambiguity about the writer's opinion about Steve's lifestyle and parenting.
         The wonder is pretty standard. It seems to have been shot for the mockumentary feel, but it never feels cheap. That said there is little that would put it above To Die For. I've given lower ratings for nothing special, like an 8 for The Vow, but this is nothing special as in I can't put a finger on it, not disappointing. The locations and food probably are the 9. I would definitely suggest this to anyone who likes Steve Coogan or really any British comedy. Also, if you watch and like it, check out Saxondale, a British TV show which has been on Netflix instant.

No comments:

Post a Comment