Saturday, June 16, 2012

28 Days Later** (2002) 9, 9.5, 8.5, 27

          In case it has slipped past your notice, I often draw my comparisons with films with close titles, that is, close in alphabetical order. This is due to how I go about it. I look at my list at where the newly-watched movie will go and I begin with a base 9, 9, 9, 27 rating. Then I compare it with similar films near it in the list and adjust the rating for special points or deficiencies.
          That explained, it just so happens that the sequel to this film, 28 Weeks Later, is right next to it and draws my attention most in terms of comparison. The first thing I noticed when I turned on the film is the difference in film quality. I haven't read up much on 28 Weeks Later, but in the DVD special features on 28 Days Later, Danny Boyle, who also directed one of my personal favorites, Slumdog Millionaire, said that he intentionally shot the whole movie on digital, which is uncommon in filmmaking, to give it an urban feel. This might have worked if it had been abandoned once the group left London as it feels weirder when they get into rural England. That issue with film quality, which distracted me too much, was the reason I gave this one an 8.5 for wonder, while the sequel got a 9.
          Writing and acting seemed on the same level, though Cillian Murphy and Brendan Gleason were great as always. Cillian Murphy was a relative unknown when he made this and he shows great acting intelligence in his performance. Brendan Gleeson always shines in acting the mundanities of life, but his high points in this film are the tense moments, especially when he realizes he is infected. His attempt to say goodbye to his daughter while getting her securely away is gutwrenching. This leads to his transformation, which I often forget has to be acted, but he brought out the humanity of losing one's humanity. Naomie Harris was quite good as well. It's unfortunate she never got the shot in the arm to her career that Cillian Murphy did. Christopher Eccleston and Stuart McQuarrie keep the movie from going stale in the second half as the major and sergeant. Overall, this film is on par with its sequel for a 9 for wit.
           As far as wisdom goes, this is a gem that outweighs the sequel. I gave it a 9.5, because of two things. The first is the insistence on hope in a film that could be reasonably described as in the horror genre. Jim, Cillian's character, could be described as a bit of a romantic, which for me is quite a compliment coming from me. He makes a number of speeches and really shows a willingness to be heroic and fight for good things in a broken world. The second thing that means so much to me is its unrelenting darkness. For me the mix of romanticism and darkness is nearly the epitome of wisdom. This film tells the truth about what people do in extreme situations, but believes that they are capable of more and occasionally do it. The appearance of different characters with different, vying worldviews gives it the spice of debate about these big issues as well.
           Thus, out of order we have 9, 9.5, 8.5, 27. This series is among my favorite and the forthcoming third installment 28 Months Later has been hot on my radar for quite some time.

No comments:

Post a Comment