Saturday, January 23, 2016

Wimbledon** (2004) 8.75, 9, 8.5, 26.25

So this is one of those middling romantic comedies from my youth that I found for $.50 at a store that was moving locations. It's a simple sports film at its core, centering around an aging tennis pro named Peter Colt playing in what might be his last professional tournament at Wimbledon. He comes in with singularly low expectations, but he gains a new perspective when he meets Lizzie Bradbury, as young tennis phenom who takes an interest in him and makes him embarrassed to lose.
I gave it an 8.75 for wit because though it's charming and has moments of snappy dialogue and beautiful romance, it generally doesn't seek to do anything out of the ordinary acting-wise or in terms of the plot and dialogue.
For wisdom, I gave it a 9, in part because it betrays a little bit of the thought of Andreas Capellanus, a fantastic medieval thinker, whose Art of Courtly Love I heartily recommend. Beyond the -.25 for misunderstanding sexuality, hardly worth mentioning, there's also some nice stuff about family and aging romance I enjoyed, though the ending was a little much, which I'll discuss beyond the spoiler screen for those interested.
For wonder, I gave a pretty standard 8.5, because besides some interesting stuff in the music department, not enough to warrant any extra consideration, there's nothing in terms if cinematography, directing, or effects to warrant anything more.
I can hardly recommend this as prime romanticism, for those not inclined to it, but it fills a need. Paul Bettany is a great underdog everyman. Kirsten Dunst is bewitching, though maybe that's just me.
Enjoy, friends!
===============SPOILER ALERT=============
That was probably hardly necessary, because this came out in 2004, but War and Peace was published in 1869 and it takes I'm taking a lot of care and still having parts spoiled. The only bit worth mentioning is the end. Sports movies have a complex issue, particularly singles sports. If your character begins to be successful, which is practically required to make the movie interesting, how far do they have to succeed to avoid anticlimax? If they're the underdog, as here in Wimbledon, the further they get, the more improbable and the greater stretch on the suspension of disbelief. Having forgotten the end, I wanted him to fail before winning it all, so it would feel more real, but a film like this is built on the improbable. That said, when he, ranked 119th in the world, deep into his thirties, wins one of the most prestigious tennis tournaments in the world, it just snapped for me. The suspension couldn't hold. My disbelief flooded in and so 9 for wisdom. There you go.
Thanks if you made it this far. Enjoyez!

No comments:

Post a Comment