Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Interlude V: The Interlude

          I'd like to take a break here and talk a little about some of the things I've watched recently that haven't made it on here yet. For fall TV, I've got a couple outright winners so far and some on the cusp. The obvious, "everybody's-already-watching-these" shows for me are Modern Family and Parks and Rec. The best two new shows I've seen are Brooklyn Nine Nine and The Goldbergs.
          The former is the first cop comedy in recent memory. This is a show starring cop characters that is first and foremost a comedy. And it is funny. Andy Samberg is automatic comedy gold. If you didn't already know this, then you must have missed some of my favorite SNL ever. My next favorite is somewhat less known, but Chelsea Peretti is one of the funniest people out there. The whole thing is great and I wholeheartedly endorse it.
          The latter is a solid period (80's) family comedy that has a solid chance. Jeff Garlin is the dad, of which I wholly approve. Patton Oswalt is the narrator as well. It is definitely something I'll be watching.
          I also wholly endorse Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. This won't surprise many, but I'm really happy with the pilot. It absolutely reminds me of Firefly, which I finally watched recently. I didn't finish it, but I will. Joss Whedon continues to impress.
          I still haven't finished Breaking Bad, in case you're wondering, but I'm more excited still for the last season of Mad Men.
          I just started the third season of Eastbound and Down recently and I can't help but think it's one of the funniest shows out there and with a surprising amount of heart. It's got a lot of completely superfluous cursing, which I couldn't care less about, but I appreciate many who do. It can also be a little crude, but very often in the service of something higher.
          There are two Hulu exclusives that I'd like to comment on. The first and better is Moone Boy. This period (also 80's) family comedy is set in Ireland about a young boy with an imaginary friend, played by the hilarious Chris O'Dowd. It is probably my favorite TV format comedy of the year until Community comes back.
          Quick Draw is trying too hard to be Arrested Development in the Old West, but it kind of works. I've only seen the one episode, but I'm kind of excited.
           I've watched a number of movies recently that have fallen short or have left me unsure what to do with them. The first is Safety Not Guaranteed. This film has a lot going for it. First, the premise: "WANTED: Someone to go back in time with me. This is not a joke. You'll get paid after we get back. Must bring your own weapons. I have only done this once before. SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED." Then you add Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass and I'm pretty excited. Aubrey has been the light and joy of one of the funniest shows on TV now, Parks and Recreation. Mark Duplass is impressive wherever, though I got tired of his character on The League. The script is good, but there is something confusing towards the end that put me off. If anything I've said makes you excited, watch it. I probably will again, but not just yet.
          One movie I do not recommend is The Dictator. I'm probably behind on this but Sasha Baron Cohen just isn't that funny. I think a lot of the reason I loved Borat, which I really did, is the people who are unaware that there is a joke going on. Without that base level of trickery, there's not much going on.
          I think that's all for now. I promise to pick something good for the 50th post. Thank you to all who read this.

No comments:

Post a Comment